Thursday, February 7, 2013

Jitters






I'm already getting a bit jumpy about the first race, which is in 9 days. I promised pictures of the new uniforms last time, and I have been too lazy to put them up. So here they are. I was skeptical at first about the gray, as one should be, but they turned out really well. The stripe on the jersey and gloves is pretty awesome. The sponsor placement seems much better this year than last year as well. I think the two guys that come up with the majority of the designs for us are getting much better at that.

The beard is about to come off. I will have some friendly mutton chops for the first race, then I'm taking it down to a mustache. I probably won't keep that for long. As much as I love having a mustache, I haven't been clean shaven since July 3rd. I do really like the feeling of having a smooth face, but I wanted to do at least a half yeard. Mission accomplished plus a month and a couple of days. I was only able to keep the beard for 4 months last year and the mustache for 7. I hacked off the whole beard in one day, which was fun, but I felt I could do something more interesting with it. I got a few compliments on my mustache at races last year, and I know the chops are going to get me at least the same recognition.

I've been putting in the hours on the bike, and my fitness is really coming together. Last night the team had a meeting, and we discussed a few things. Getting our team to move out of the C and D categories is the big issue. We have a list of 5 guys who can make it to B's without having too many fitness issues. I am only fit enough to compete at C's this year, but that is a far cry from last year. I'm gonna judge what I need to do based on if I can succeed. If I podium the first race weekend and don't struggle in the other races that weekend I am moving up. The first race is always stacked with guys who are fit enough to move up anyway, so I'm not sure if that will happen. No matter. I'm going to race my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment